Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Opposites...

Well we started swimming lessons for the summer. And let me just start by saying my kids are polar opposites. Madie has taken swim lessons for three years in a row and still is very unsure of the water. Which I guess could be a good thing. She is in a class where it is just her and the instructor and some other kids. No parents in the pool with them this time around. She was so pumped on the way there, but as we go to the pool and walked up and she saw her Daddy wasn't gonna be in the pool with her you could feel her apprehension. I was going to stay by the side of the pool where she was until I was informed that they didn't want the parents there beside the pool. I guess this is because they feel like the kids will be distracted by the parents and not want to learn. I can kind of understand this. I just felt bad because I had told her I would be right there and I ended up having to go all the way to the other side of the pool with Ben and Jack. As I sat and watched her you could see that she just wasn't too sure of the idea of having to get in the water without one of us. She was on the end and you could see her unsureness (is that even a word? Well, it is now-a Jennaism  we will call it) as she watched all of the other kids jump off the side and swim to the instructor. Like she was thinking, "It's getting closer to me. I know he's not gonna make me do this too!" Well, he got to her and, as I type this I have to laugh, she shook her head and before he could even try to persuade her, she slipped into the pool. Not jumped, slid in, very gracefully I might add.  She was not going to jump. This was a picture of her after she got in but still very apprehensive. Now I don't even have to explain how Jack felt about the water, this one explains it all.

I just hope he continues to love the water. I just have to make sure he doesn't jump in on his own. The boy has NO FEAR!!!!



1 comment:

Christy Brockman said...

That is so Hayley and Hunter. Hayley has had lessons, and CAN swim, but is too scared. Hunter has never had lessons, and just started swimming on his own this year with no prodding from us.